Blogs I follow
« My bags are packed........... | Main | Committed to Cloth »
Tuesday
Feb122013

Fruits of my labours

I thought I would show you the outcomes of my dyeing efforts from Committed to Cloth. I know that photographs are very difficult to show the quality, texture and sheen of a piece of cloth but predominantly. I wanted to show you the outcomes of using the same dye in different strengths.

These three pieces of fabric were dyed with a brown dye.  The darkest was dyed with a concentrated solution of which half was added to a large vat of water, the medium dye was dyed with the same solution.  The remaining half of the concentrated solution was topped up with water and half of this was added to a similar amount of water in a  second vat.  The final, palest dye was produced in the same way i.e. adding water to the remaining half of dye which was then added to another vat of water.

All the water had urea added to it as well as a salt solution.  The urea removes texture from the dyeing process and produces a flatter, more even dye.

Our next session sees us working with these fabrics and overdyeing them with a second colour.  Watch this space!

The fabric I have used is a beautiful viscose challis.  It feels very luxurious and I am interested to see how it all looks when further dyes are used.

 

As well as dyeing fabrics, I have been trying to create something from my charm squares which I have acquired over the past years. Sometimes, it is hard to beat a bit of piecing.  I find it therapeutic and I love the challenge of being accurate with seam matching.

I found this block while searching the web,  it is the clever method of cutting which produces an intricate and intriguing piece.  The pattern came from www.quiltmaker.com and I simply re-sized it to work with charm squares. Hope you like it!

The fabric is French General from Moda.  I don't expect it to be anything other than a rather pretty quilt top but it is fun to do.

I am hoping to find another pack of Charm Squares to make it a larger quilt.  Ebay, here I come!

Studio building goes on apace.  We now have the basics of electricity but still a way to go yet before the project is nearing completion.

References (1)

References allow you to track sources for this article, as well as articles that were written in response to this article.

Reader Comments

There are no comments for this journal entry. To create a new comment, use the form below.

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Post:
 
All HTML will be escaped. Hyperlinks will be created for URLs automatically.